By Carol J. Williams
The Los Angeles Times, September 19, 2013
"A massacre this month at an Iranian exile camp in Iraq that killed 52 people under international protection was an act of premeditated slaughter and should be thoroughly investigated by the United Nations, two former foreign ministers told the world body Thursday. Former foreign ministers Bernard Kouchner of France and Sid Ahmed Ghozali of Algeria told a UN panel in Geneva that the Sept. 1 raid on the exile refuge known as Camp Ashraf represents 'a crime against humanity.' The former top diplomats also said they had grave fear for the safety of seven survivors of the attack who were taken hostage. A Paris-based Iranian dissident group, the National Council of Resistance of Iran, has accused Iraqi security forces under Prime Minister Nouri Maliki of carrying out the raid on the last remaining exiles at the camp, which Baghdad has been attempting to close since US forces withdrew two years ago. Iraqi officials deny being behind the killings and lay the blame on infighting among the exiles. Camp Ashraf was set up east of Baghdad in Iraq's Diyala Province during the 1980s, when Saddam Hussein's troops were at war with Iran and the Islamic Republic government's enemies were given safe refuge. Some members of the exile group, known as the Mujahedin Khalq, or MEK, fought on the side of Iraq in their effort to see the clerical regime in their homeland defeated. The Mujahedin Khalq has been accused of carrying out bombings and assassinations in Iran in the 1980s. The exile group had been on the US list of foreign terrorist organizations but was removed a year ago, after intense lobbying effort to convince Congress that the exiles had renounced violence.